African American Entrepreneur

Madam C.J Walker

Sarah Breedlove or Madam CJ Walker was born December 23 1867. She is mainly known for producing hair care products specifically for blacks and also became one of the first woman millionaires In in the 1890s, Madam CJ experienced a scalp disorder that caused lots of hair loss. Due to this, she began to use home remedies and store bought products to try to improve her condition. In 1905, Madam CJ was hired by Annie Turnbo Malone, another hair care entrepreneur, as a commission agent. Due to this she moved to Denver Colorado. While in Denver Madam CJ’s husband, Charles, helped her create posters and advertisements. In 1910, they moved their business to Indianapolis. Her business expanded to about three thousand workers. These workers typically went door to door to sell hair products. This has caused her to be titled the first African-American millionaire. Madam CJ Walker has influenced me and other black women and men by allowing healthy hair. Without Madam CJ Walker man black people would not have much hair or it would be very damaged. She has influenced me personally because I realize that where you come from doesn’t form where you finish. Madam CJ was born in Louisiana two years after slavery was abolished and still managed to make a living.